26 June 2007

Changes coming


Stay long enough in any one place, and you begin to get a sense of the everyday. Even, apparently, in India. And then, as is life’s habit, things change. Tomorrow Ambika is going away. Her son will be back from boarding school at Mt Abu, and she will join her husband at Chittor where he works for a big cement manufacturer. I’m hoping we can steal away one afternoon to visit them there. It’s about 2 hours from Udaipur and has an ancient Kali temple.

Kali. The goddess of death that made a deep impression on my young life thirty years ago. It was a time when the only religious belief and iconography I was familiar with, was a Jewish god who was on my side because I had the good fortune to belong to his chosen people, and a Christian god who died on the cross and who saved sinful souls. Kali was a whole new concept to me then. Destruction – death – rebirth – renewal. I still like the idea of her. But I digress...

Almost as soon as Ambika’s left, Paul and Shannon will arrive. I’ve kept the more touristy things to do for when they get here, and when we have time. There’s also a big huge gigantic Indian wedding coming to Udaipur. All the feasts and ceremonies that will take place over three days are being held here, at the City Palace Complex. So they are moving me to another hotel to make room for the guests. I will be packing up tomorrow and shipping out to the Garden Hotel, a couple of kilometers away. That’s where Paul and Shannon will join me. A new stage begins.

And as if to herald this change in pace, a group of about 12 monkeys unexpectedly escaped the guards’ knobkerries, and sneaked into the grounds. Perhaps they took advantage of the rain, which incidentally, has cooled things down a good 10 degrees. I spent ages watching them interact. Mothers looking after babies. They are so human, it’s not surprising that Hindus have Hanuman, the monkey god, who bravely helped Lord Rama in his battle against the demons.

5 Comments:

At 27 June 2007 at 12:16 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that while the rhythm of your days may change the lyricism of your blog will continue.
Us monkeys are doing ok this week love lesley

 
At 27 June 2007 at 2:55 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 27 June 2007 at 3:01 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

I love you! I don't know why you suddenly think I want nothing to do with you, I love you, because you're my mother and you're Lynne,yes, don't doubt sometimes I don't like you, because you're Lynne, but that disliking, is only periodically, and my love for you is forever.

 
At 27 June 2007 at 6:32 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne,
I'm hooked on your blog! Reads as bit as good as your scripts.... looking forward to doing the translation. Adele xx

 
At 27 June 2007 at 8:30 pm , Blogger Lynne said...

Adele,

Am delighted you are enjoying it, particularly in light of the fact that you will end up working with the results of the trip.

Lynne

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home